Training and education credentials you can get

The possibilities are endless.You can do short-term training that is job specific, train in a trade that leads to an apprenticeship or go to college/university to earn a certificate, diploma or bachelor’s degree. It’s up to you!

Here are some Post Secondary education and training options:

  • Career Training – usually non-academic and directly related to a specific trade, occupation or vocation
  • Certificate – educational or vocational program, usually requiring one or two years of study at a technical school, college or university
  • Diploma – academic and/or vocational training/education, usually requiring two years of full-time study at a technnical school, college or university
  • Associate Degree – offered by colleges, normally requiring two years of full-time study that transfers to a partner university where students can finish the 3rd and 4th years of a Bachelor’s Degree
  • Bachelor’s Degree – ‘undergrad’ degree normally requiring three or four years of full-time study at a college or university
  • Applied Bachelor’s Degree – four or five years full-time study in focus areas that emphasize education towards a specific field (eg Nursing, Engineering, Social Work) and frequently involve practical training
  • Master’s Degree – ‘graduate’ degree that normally follows an undergraduate degree and takes one to two years of full-time study at a technical school or university
  • Doctorate Degree – one level higher than a master’s degree and normally requires a minimum of two to three years of full-time study at a university